Rains cast shadow on corridor work - Mandi Gobindgarh News

Mandi Gobindgarh News

Mandi Gobindgarh News and Directory

drlalpathlabs.mandigobindgarh@gmail.com

Hot

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Rains cast shadow on corridor work


Rains cast shadow on corridor work

Ravi Dhaliwal

Tribune News Service

Dera Baba Nanak, July 10

With just 30 per cent of the work completed till yet and the monsoon setting in, there are reports that the October 31st deadline to complete the Kartarpur corridor project may be missed.

Following the season’s first rainfall yesterday, work on the multi-storeyed Integrated Check Post (ICP), 100-m overbridge and water drainage system took a hit.

Officials confirmed that for the next two months, when the monsoon will be at its peak, the work would continue to be done in bits and pieces, a development which is sure to push the deadline back by a few weeks.

Heavy rains on Tuesday meant workers had to wade through mud at the site even as the surface became too slippery for comfort.

“Such conditions, which are not at all conducive for construction, will continue to prevail for the next two months. This means we have very less time left if we have to meet the October 31 deadline. It seems an impossible and improbable task,” said an official.

In contrast, the Pakistan government, which has allocated Rs 100 crore for the project, released a video claiming that 80 per cent work had been completed and the remaining 20 per cent was on target. The Pakistani authorities had commenced work as early as December 28, exactly a month after Prime Minister Imran Khan had laid the foundation stone.

The 4-km passage, across the wire fence, stretching from the international border till Shakargarh road and arrival and langar halls, Darshani Deori and water supply and sewerage projects at the Kartarpur shrine are almost complete.

Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa, Cabinet Minister, said, “It is a project dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev hence destiny will be kind to us.” He said was in constant touch with officials of the NHAI, Land Ports Authority of India and Ceigall India, the firm contracted to build the passage, to ensure that the deadline was met.

Earlier on June 15, MP Sunny Deol had visited the site and expressed displeasure at the “slow pace of work”.


Site waterlogged

  • Following the season's first rainfall on Tuesday, work on the multi-storeyed Integrated Check Post, 100-m overbridge and water drainage system took a hit.

  • Officials confirmed that for the next two months, when the monsoon will be at its peak, the work would continue to be done in bits and pieces, a development which is sure to push the deadline back by a few weeks.

  • Workers had to wade through mud at the site even as the surface became too slippery for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot