On Day 5, two-year-old Fatehveer pulled out of borewell, rushed to hospital - Mandi Gobindgarh News

Mandi Gobindgarh News

Mandi Gobindgarh News and Directory



Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

On Day 5, two-year-old Fatehveer pulled out of borewell, rushed to hospital

On Day 5, two-year-old Fatehveer pulled out of borewell, rushed to hospital


Parvesh Sharma

Tribune News Service

Sangrur, June 11

Two-year-old Fatehveer of Bhagwanpura in Sangrur was finally pulled out of the borewell on Tuesday morning, after more than 100 hours of remaining stuck in the narrow tube he had fallen into. The child had stumbled into the borewell that was covered with cement bags around 4 pm on Thursday.

While his medical condition was not immediately known, Sangrur Deputy Commissioner Ghanshyam Thori said that doctors would take a decision after leaving Bhagwanpura whether the child should be taken to Patiala or Chandigarh hospital.

There was tension in the area as residents demanded action against the officials responsible for the delay in the rescue.

Around midnight, Punjab Cabinet Minister Vijay Inder Singla, DC Ghanshyam Thori, SSP Dr Sandeep Garg, who were camping on the spot, urged residents to go home, but none was willing to return without seeing Fatehveer.

Sukhminder Singh, father of Fatehveer, had also requested people to end their protest and clear the blocked roads even as the crowd kept swelling.

The administration had to depute more police force in the area to maintain peace.

Anger was palpable among the large number of people who had gathered at the site where two-year-old Fatehveer was being rescued from a borewell even as those carrying out the operation were racing against time to complete their mission.

As pressure mounted on the government, Chief Minister Amarinder Singh ordered a crackdown on open borewells and demended a report within 24 hours. He also asked the public to report open borewells to authorities immediately.

A chopper of the Punjab CM had also been put on standby near the spot where the rescue operation was under way.

Angered over what they called the "slow pace" of the "ill-organised" rescue operation, area residents blocked the Sunam-Mansa road on Monday and also attacked a private car.

National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) members had to fill sand to level the second borewell dug parallel to the one in which the child was stuck.

"The operation is getting delayed due to lack of required technical assistance," Kultar Singh, a local resident, had alleged.

Monday also happened to be the second birthday of Fatehveer, and the family had planned a celebration with their relatives.

Father Sukhminder Singh said Fatehveer had his last meal at 2 pm on Thursday, before falling into the 150-ft deep abandoned borewell.

A team of doctors and ambulance had been stationed at the spot. A movement in the child's body was noticed at 5 am on Saturday, almost 40 hours after the incident. After that no movement was noticed. Adequate supply of oxygen inside the well was being provided and a camera was used to monitor his condition.

Followers of Sirsa-based Dera Sacha Sauda were also involved in the rescue operation. An attempt was made earlier to pull out the child with the help of a rope. He was tied with a rope to prevent him from slipping further. The borewell had been abandoned for over seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot